STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1125
RE: S.B. No. 976
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 976, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PUBLIC LIBRARIES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to facilitate the lease of public library land.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Establishes a pilot program and corresponding library facilities fund for the lease of public library land and facilities; and
(2) Requires the Board of Education to submit reports to the Legislature on the progress of the pilot program.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Hawaii State Public Library System, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, and one individual.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Budget and Finance, Department of the Attorney General, and Department of Land and Natural Resources.
Your Committee finds that although state public libraries provide an important service to the community, the State should consider new approaches to the generation of funds to support those libraries, including the lease of public library lands, as proposed by this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Replacing a reference to section 171-13, Hawaii Revised Statutes, with a reference to section 171-11, Hawaii Revised Statutes;
(2) Requiring the Board of Education to consult with the State Librarian in the identification and selection of public library land sites for participation in the pilot program;
(3) Clarifying that the Board of Education may lease public library land without review by or approval of the Board of Land and Natural Resources;
(4) Inserting appropriations of unspecified sums for fiscal years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 for a comprehensive planning study to review all state public library land sites and facilities to assist the State Librarian and the Board of Education in identifying public library land sites for the pilot program established by this measure;
(5) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(6) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 976, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 976, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair