STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1701
RE: S.B. No. 921
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 921, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to establish and appropriate funds for a division within the Department of the Attorney General to provide legal advice regarding Hawaiian shoreline public access rights to the Governor, executive departments, boards and commissions, and the Legislature and its members.
Testimony in support of this measure was submitted by one individual. Testimony in opposition of this measure was submitted by the Center for Hawaiian Sovereignty Studies. The Department of the Attorney General provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by deleting its substantive contents and replacing them with language that:
(1) Appropriates an unspecified amount for fiscal year 2019-2020 for one permanent full-time equivalent Hawaiian culture attorney position with expertise in the Hawaiian language, Hawaiian culture, and Hawaiian shoreline public access within the Department of the Attorney General;
(2) Clarifies membership and certain powers and duties of the Law Enforcement Standards Board (Board) to facilitate participation and representation;
(3) Enables the Board to research the impact of uniform standards, certification, and training on existing legal requirements;
(4) Extends the deadline for the completion of certain significant Board responsibilities to July 1, 2023; and
(5) Appropriates funds for an administrator position, a clerical position, and the administration and operating costs of the Board.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 921, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 921, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
CHRIS LEE, Chair