STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1331
RE: S.B. No. 817
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Intrastate Commerce, to which was referred S.B. No. 817, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO SELF-SERVICE STORAGE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorize the sale of stored property insurance by self-service storage facility owners under certain conditions; and
(2) Require self-service storage facility owners to hold a limited lines license in order to sell, solicit, or offer coverage under a stored property insurance policy.
The Self Storage Association and StorQuest Self Storage testified in support of this measure. The Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs and Hawaii Independent Insurance Agents Association commented on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Mandating disclosure that stored property insurance may be purchased through licensed property and casualty producers, who may have more general knowledge and experience selling insurance and may better assist the occupant, and that owners and employees operating under a limited lines license are not required to meet all of the requirements of a licensed insurance producer;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 3000; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Intrastate Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 817, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 817, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Intrastate Commerce,
TAKASHI OHNO, Chair