STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1493
RE: S.B. No. 797
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred S.B. No. 797, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR AND INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) The Disability Compensation Division modernization project and independent verification and validation of the project;
(2) The Unemployment Insurance modernization project;
(3) A disability compensation program specialist I position;
(4) Neighbor Island staffing and IT support for the Unemployment Insurance Division;
(5) The Labor Law Enforcement Special Fund;
(6) A staff attorney position for the Labor and Industrial Relations Appeals Board;
(7) A program specialist IV position for the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission; and
(8) A labor law enforcement specialist IV position for the Hearings Branch of the Wage Standards Division.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting appropriations for:
(A) Neighbor Island staffing and IT support for the Unemployment Insurance Division;
(B) The Labor Law Enforcement Special Fund; and
(C) A permanent Program Specialist IV position for the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission;
(2) Increasing the Fiscal Year 2020-2021 appropriation for the Unemployment Insurance modernization project;
(3) Clarifying that the Disability Program Specialist position shall be a Disability Program Specialist II;
(4) Adding an unspecified appropriation for operating costs incurred in the administration of the Unemployment Insurance Program;
(5) Specifying that the staff attorney position shall be exempt from civil service and collective bargaining;
(6) Amending the appropriation for the Labor Law Enforcement Specialist IV by changing the appropriation and position count to unspecified numbers and deleting the specification that the position shall serve the Hearings Branch; and
(7) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Labor & Public Employment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 797, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 797, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Labor & Public Employment,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair