STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1498
RE: S.B. No. 792
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred S.B. No. 792, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EMPLOYEE TRAINING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establish the Public Employees Training Program to be governed by a board, which shall develop a plan for the creation and development of training programs to improve and enhance state employees' understanding of their job duties;
(2) Establish the Public Employees Training Fund for the development and implementation of training programs for state employees; and
(3) Require that each employee's jurisdiction provide a general orientation on employee rights and benefits to their newly hired employees within 20 calendar days of being hired.
The Hawaii Government Employees Association, AFSCME Local 152, AFL-CIO testified in support of this measure. The Department of Human Resources Development and Department of Budget and Finance provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting provisions that establish the Public Employees Training Program and the Public Employees Training Fund; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Labor & Public Employment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 792, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 792, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Labor & Public Employment,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair