STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1402
RE: S.B. No. 772
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce, to which was referred S.B. No. 772 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO LIQUOR LAWS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Removing the requirement that a notice, placard, or marker indicating the name or brand be attached upon the faucet, spigot, or outlet wherefrom the beer is drawn; and
(2) Specifying that any rules adopted by county liquor commissions shall define stacking beer on a total volume basis not to exceed forty-four ounces.
Maui Brewing Co., REAL gastropub/Bent Tail Brewing Company, Beer Lab HI, Kauai Beer Company, Waikiki Brewing Company, Lanikai Brewing Company, Big Island Brewhaus, Honolulu Beerworks, and Hawaiian Craft Brewers Guild submitted testimony in support of this measure. The Hawai‘i Alcohol Policy Alliance, Hawaii Partnership to Prevent Underage Drinking, and several individuals submitted testimony in opposition. The Hawaii Strategic Highway Safety Plan and City and County of Honolulu Liquor Commission submitted comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the maximum serving amount before a customer at any one time from forty-four ounces to thirty-two ounces;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 772, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 772, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce,
ROY M. TAKUMI, Chair