STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1663
RE: S.B. No. 768
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce, to which was referred S.B. No. 768, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ADOLESCENT MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to address the privacy of minor patients receiving mental health treatment by:
(1) Requiring licensed mental health professionals, as part of the standard of care, to educate minor patients on their confidentiality rights and inquire whether minor patients want their mental health treatment or counseling services to be confidential from their parents or guardians;
(2) Clarifying that the minor, or the minor's parent or legal guardian, is not responsible for payment of out-of-pocket costs for a minor patient's mental health treatment or counseling services; and
(3) Restricting the disclosure of billing and payment history for a minor patient's mental health treatment or counseling services under certain conditions.
The Department of Health, LGBT Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, Hawaii Youth Services Network, Mental Health America of Hawai‘i, and Hawaii Psychological Association supported this measure. A few individuals opposed this measure. Hawaii Medical Service Association and Hawaii Association of Health Plans offered comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Allowing minors who are fourteen years of age or older to consent to mental health treatment or counseling services provided by certain mental health professionals who are working under the supervision of a licensed mental health professional; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 768, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 768, S.D. 1, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce,
ROY M. TAKUMI, Chair