STAND. COM. REP. NO. 972
RE: S.B. No. 762
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 762 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AGRICULTURE EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to establish a preschool through post-secondary, or P-20, agriculture education coordinator position within the University of Hawaii at Manoa College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Establishes the P-20 agriculture education coordinator position within the University of Hawaii at Manoa College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources;
(2) Requires the P-20 agriculture education coordinator and the P-20 agriculture education working group to carry out an implementation plan for preschool through post-secondary agriculture education in the State; and
(3) Appropriates moneys to the University of Hawaii for the P-20 agriculture education coordinator position.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the University of Hawaii; Waipahu High School; BEES>me; Blue Zones Project; Hawaii Cattlemen's Council; Hawaii Farm Bureau; Hawaii Farm to School Hui; Hawaii FFA; Ka Ohana O Na Pua; Kokua Hawaii Foundation; Local Food Coalition; McKinley High School FFA Alumni Association; Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii; Oahu Farm to School Network; 7th Grade Students of My Life, My Island, My World course at Iolani School; and numerous individuals.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Education.
Your Committee finds that agriculture education at all levels will help to create a larger future generation of farmers in the State, helping to ensure increased food security and self-sufficiency.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the P-20 agriculture education coordinator and the p-20 agriculture education working group shall submit an annual report to the Legislature; and
(2) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 762, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 762, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair