STAND. COM. REP. NO. 858
RE: S.B. No. 663
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 663, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HIGHWAY SAFETY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to facilitate the enforcement of traffic control signal laws.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Establishes a Red Light Running Committee to review this measure and make recommendations on how to improve it before it is implemented;
(2) Establishes a photo red light imaging detector systems program to improve enforcement of traffic control signal laws; and
(3) Requires fines collected pursuant to the foregoing program to be deposited into a photo red light imaging detector systems program special fund.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Transportation; Office of the Mayor, City and County of Honolulu; Honolulu Police Department; Department of Transportation Services, City and County of Honolulu; Hawaii Bicycling League; Peoples Advocacy for Trails Hawaii; Blue Zones Project; and numerous individuals.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from two individuals.
Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Budget and Finance.
Your Committee finds that an increased number of drivers, especially those who run red lights, have been violating traffic laws. Your Committee also finds that traffic enforcement systems in other states and countries such as Canada that use photo red light imaging detector technology have deterred red light runners. Accordingly, your Committee believes that the establishment of a photo red light imaging detector system within the State may improve safety and prevent hazardous traffic situations from occurring.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Correcting a reference to the month of implementation of the photo speed imaging detector system created by Act 234, Session Laws of Hawaii 1998;
(2) Clarifying that the Department of Transportation shall expend money from fines collected from violators of certain traffic laws regarding red lights in the county in which the fines were collected;
(3) Changing the effective date:
(A) Except for the establishment of the Red Light Running Committee, to July 1, 2050; and
(B) Of the establishment of the Red Light Running Committee to July 1, 2049;
to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(4) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 663, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 663, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair