STAND. COM. REP. NO. 857
RE: S.B. No. 657
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 657, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ELECTRIC VEHICLES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to clarify and extend certain electric vehicle parking benefits authorized by the State.
Specifically, this measure amends Act 168, Session Laws of Hawaii 2012, to:
(1) Clarify that electric vehicles are not exempt from paying for non-metered fee parking when parked for any period longer than an initial four hours; and
(2) Extend the repeal date of Act 168 from June 30, 2020, to June 30, 2030.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Strategic Industries Division of the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; the Department of Accounting and General Services; the Department of Transportation Services of the City and County of Honolulu; Big Island EV Association; Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii; Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc.; Tesla; and numerous individuals.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from one individual.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, Blue Planet Foundation, and Ulupono Initiative.
Your Committee finds that extending certain electric vehicle incentives will help to reduce the State's dependence on fossil fuels.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Shortening the extension of the repeal date of Act 168, Session Laws of Hawaii 2012, from the originally proposed repeal date extension of June 30, 2030, to June 30, 2023;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 657, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 657, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair