STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1183
RE: S.B. No. 523
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 523, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO BIOSECURITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to protect the State from invasive species.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Establishes the invasive species rapid response special fund for purposes of mitigating or eradicating newly detected invasive species threats;
(2) Makes various appropriations related to eradicating invasive species; and
(3) Requires the Department of Agriculture to submit a report to the Legislature prior to the 2020 Regular Session on the feasibility and planning of the construction of a biological control research and containment facility.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources; Department of Agriculture; Office of the Mayor, County of Hawaii; Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii; Hawaii Farm Bureau; The Nature Conservancy; Hawaii Cattlemens Council; Oahu County Democrats; and four individuals.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Budget and Finance.
Your Committee recognizes that invasive insects, disease-bearing organisms, snakes, weeds, and other pests threaten the State's economy, its natural environment, and the health and lifestyle of its people. Your Committee therefore believes that the State should improve its efforts to mitigate the threats and impacts of these invasive species.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting an appropriation of an unspecified amount from the invasive species rapid response special fund for fiscal years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 for purposes of the fund;
(2) Changing the other appropriations in the measure to unspecified amounts;
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(4) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 523, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 523, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair