STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1643
RE: S.B. No. 387
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Lower & Higher Education and Housing, to which was referred S.B. No. 387, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO TEACHER RENTAL HOUSING,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorize the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation to assist the Department of Education in developing teacher housing projects;
(2) Authorize the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation to contract or sponsor with any state or county department or agency for an experimental housing project to meet the needs of teachers;
(3) Appropriate funds for deposit into and out of the Dwelling Unit Revolving Fund for the development of rental housing for teachers;
(4) Require the Department of Education to lease land and contract with private entities for the development, management, maintenance, or revitalization of teacher housing; and
(5) Permit the Department of Education to lease teacher housing to other eligible tenants if occupancy of teacher housing falls below ninety-five percent.
The Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation, Hawaii State Teachers Association, Democratic Party of Hawai‘i Education Caucus, Hawai‘i Association of REALTORS, and a concerned individual supported this measure. The Department of Education, State Public Charter School Commission, and Hawaiian Community Assets offered comments on this measure.
Your Committees have amended this measure by changing its effective date to July 1, 2052, to encourage further discussion on this measure.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Lower & Higher Education and Housing that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 387, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 387, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Lower & Higher Education and Housing,
TOM BROWER, Chair
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair