STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1526
RE: S.B. No. 373
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Labor & Public Employment and Lower & Higher Education, to which was referred S.B. No. 373, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Establishing a K-12 Curriculum-to-Career-Pipeline Initiative (Initiative) within the Department of Education (DOE) to enable students to pursue training and education throughout their time at a school complex so that upon graduation they are prepared to enter the State's workforce;
(2) Requiring DOE to collaborate and consult with the Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism (DBEDT), Department of Labor and Industrial Relations (DLIR), and University of Hawaii to develop the Initiative; and
(3) Appropriating funds for the development and implementation of the Initiative, including funding for a full-time equivalent educational specialist II position within DOE.
The DOE; DBEDT; Hawaii Youth Services Network; The Chamber of Commerce Hawaii; HawaiiKidsCAN; and a few individuals testified in support of this measure. An individual testified in opposition to this measure. The Executive Office on Early Learning, DLIR, and University of Hawai‘i Community College provided comments on this measure.
Upon consideration, your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Making the number of educational specialist positions unspecified; and
(2) Changing its effective date to January 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on this measure.
Should this measure be heard by the Committee on Finance, your Committees respectfully request that it consider appropriating funds for one full-time equivalent (1.0 FTE) educational specialist II position as part of developing and implementing the Initiative.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Labor & Public Employment and Lower & Higher Education that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 373, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 373, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Labor & Public Employment and Lower & Higher Education,
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair