STAND. COM. REP. NO. 738
RE: S.B. No. 337
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 337 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE LEGISLATURE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to make the legislative process more accessible to all residents of the State.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Establishes the remote legislative access program;
(2) Requires the Joint Legislative Access Committee to oversee the program's staff and operations and recommend policies for the program; and
(3) Appropriates moneys to the Legislature to establish the remote legislative access program.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Disability and Communication Access Board, Democratic Party of Hawaii, and five individuals.
Your Committee finds that communication technology has improved in ways that make the legislative process more accessible to individuals with disabilities and individuals who live outside of urban Honolulu. Accordingly, your Committee believes that this measure will provide increased opportunity for public participation in the legislative process.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(2) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 337, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 337, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair