STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1557
RE: S.B. No. 276
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs, to which was referred S.B. No. 276, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorize twenty-three full-time equivalent (23.00 FTE) permanent staff positions for the Women's Community Correctional Center Hookipa Makai Cottage;
(2) Appropriate funds for fiscal year 2020-2021 for the twenty-three full time equivalent staff positions for the Women's Community Correctional Center Hookipa Makai Cottage; and
(3) Appropriate funds to finance six months of housing costs for two hundred forty-eight inmates at Saguaro Correctional Center in Arizona and for costs to return the inmates to Hawaii.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Providing funding for the operations of the Department of Public Safety for fiscal year 2019-2020 and fiscal year 2020-2021;
(2) Adding items to reflect an increase of $1,825,644 in general fund appropriations for thirty-one adult correctional officer positions (PSD402, PSD404, PSD406, PSD407, PSD900) for fiscal year 2019-2020 and fiscal year 2020-2021; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 276, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 276, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs,
GREGG TAKAYAMA, Chair