STAND. COM. REP. NO. 204
RE: S.B. No. 259
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water and Land, to which was referred S.B. No. 259 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO OFFSHORE DRILLING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Prohibit offshore drilling for oil or natural gas in state marine waters; and
(2) Prohibit issuance of permits for or in connection with the development or operation of any facility or infrastructure associated with offshore drilling for oil or natural gas in any waters.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i; Hawaii Advocates For Consumer Rights; We Are One, Inc.; 350Hawaii.org; and seventeen individuals. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from one individual. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and National Caucus of Environmental Legislators.
Your Committee finds that although Hawaii has no proven petroleum or natural gas reserves or production, the State does produce petroleum products and crude oil is refined within the State. Your Committee further finds that the State is committed to the promotion and development of renewable and sustainable energy. This measure affirms the State's dedication to the reduction of fossil fuel use by prohibiting offshore drilling and the issuance of permits in connection with facilities associated with offshore drilling.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Limiting the prohibition against issuing a permit for or in connection with the development or operation of any facility or infrastructure associated with offshore drilling for oil or natural gas to within state waters;
(2) Inserting an effective date of December 31, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water and Land that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 259, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 259, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water and Land,
KAIALI'I KAHELE, Chair