STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1057
RE: S.B. No. 171
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 171, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to examine ways to improve public education in the State.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Creates a county education task force to establish a process for the transfer of jurisdiction of all public schools from the State to the county in which the public school is located; and
(2) Requires the task force to submit a report to the Legislature prior to the convening of the Regular Session of 2021.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from the Board of Education, Department of Education, Hawaii State Teachers Association, and one individual.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Budget and Finance and Legislative Reference Bureau.
Your Committee finds that the task force established by this measure will help the State gain a better understanding of the potential ways to govern, fund, and potentially improve public education in the State.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the task force membership shall include four representatives with backgrounds in education or finance; provided that each representative shall be appointed by the Governor from a list of three nominees that the mayor of each county shall submit;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 171, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 171, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair