STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1189
RE: S.B. No. 1530
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1530, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to revitalize Aloha Stadium and surrounding lands.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Establishes the stadium development district under the jurisdiction of the Hawaii Community Development Authority to expedite the redevelopment of Aloha Stadium and surrounding areas;
(2) Authorizes the Department of Land and Natural Resources to provide written concurrence, based on a phased review, regarding any project in the stadium development district for historical preservation purposes; and
(3) Authorizes the issuance of revenue bonds and general obligation bonds and appropriates funds to establish the stadium development district and build a new stadium.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Stadium Authority.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from the Department of Planning and Permitting of the City and County of Honolulu.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and League of Women Voters of Hawaii.
Your Committee finds that it is in the best interests of the State and its people to redevelop, renovate, or improve the lands under the jurisdiction of the Stadium Authority in a thoughtful manner to provide suitable recreational, residential, educational, and commercial areas.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Authorizing the Stadium Authority to acquire and hold title to real property;
(2) Transferring title of all lands comprising the stadium development district to the Stadium Authority;
(3) Exempting lands owned by the Stadium Authority from the definition of public lands;
(4) Removing provisions authorizing the issuance of revenue bonds;
(5) Changing the amount of general funds appropriated from $100,000,000 to $50,000,000;
(6) Authorizing the Director of Finance to issue $150,000,000 in reimbursable general obligation bonds;
(7) Increasing the general obligation bond appropriation from $100,000,000 to $150,000,000;
(8) Lapsing any remaining amounts of the appropriation made by Act 49, Session Laws of Hawaii 2017, for a master plan and environmental impact study for the Aloha Stadium facilities and site, and re-appropriating the lapsed amount to the Hawaii Community Development Authority for the establishment and development of the stadium development district;
(9) Providing that funds appropriated by the measure shall not lapse until June 30, 2022;
(10) Providing that revenues from the stadium development district shall be deposited into a stadium development subaccount of the Hawaii community development revolving fund; and
(11) Establishing authorized uses of moneys in the stadium development district subaccount, including a requirement that a portion of the funds be used for the reimbursement of the general fund for the costs associated with the reimbursable general obligation bonds.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1530, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1530, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair