STAND. COM. REP. NO. 660
RE: S.B. No. 1530
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Energy, Economic Development, and Tourism, to which was referred S.B. No. 1530 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Establish the stadium development district for development purposes;
(2) Require that any state development in the district obtain a permit from the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA);
(3) Appropriate funds to establish and development the stadium development district for public use; and
(4) Authorize the issuance of various bonds to establish the stadium development district and build a new stadium.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the City and County of Honolulu Department of Planning and Permitting and Aloha Stadium. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of the Attorney General, Executive Director of the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA), and League of Women Voters of Hawaii.
Your Committee finds that there exists vast, unmet community development needs that HCDA may address through its community development districts. Significant planning and public outreach has occurred on specific projects to revitalize many areas of the State, including the land under the jurisdiction of the Stadium Authority and Department of Accounting and General Services. Your Committee further finds that the redevelopment of lands under the jurisdiction of the Stadium Authority and Department of Accounting and General Services could benefit from HCDA administering such a project. This measure establishes the stadium development district under the jurisdiction of HCDA to expedite the redevelopment of Aloha Stadium and the surrounding properties to bring economic development to an area that is in need of renewal, renovation, and improvement.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting findings and specifying that the purpose of this measure is to establish the stadium development district under the jurisdiction of HCDA to expedite the redevelopment of Aloha Stadium and the property around it;
(2) Inserting additional findings relating to the need to expeditiously redevelop the stadium development district;
(3) Clarifying the definition of "executive director";
(4) Specifying that the Executive Director of HCDA, rather than the Stadium Authority, shall facilitate the development of all property belonging to the State within the stadium development district;
(5) Specifying that the development within the stadium development district shall be consistent with the Aloha Stadium Conceptual Redevelopment Report dated February 23, 2017, in addition to any county transit-oriented development plans;
(6) Inserting language that allows the boundary of the stadium development district to be expanded to contiguous land, upon written request of the Executive Director of HCDA and proclamation of the Governor; provided that the Legislature may reject the expansion of the district by adoption of a concurrent resolution;
(7) Specifying that, with approval of the Governor, the Executive Director of HCDA may modify and make changes to a transit-oriented development plan and the Aloha Stadium Conceptual Redevelopment Report with respect to the stadium development district to respond to changing conditions or needs, under certain conditions;
(8) Inserting language that requires the Executive Director of HCDA to issue a solicitation and select a vendor for the stadium development district;
(9) Specifying that the Executive Director of HCDA may engage in planning, design, and construction activities within and outside the stadium development district, under certain conditions;
(10) Inserting language that allocates revenues generated by the stadium development district in excess of the amount needed to maintain the stadium into the Hawaii community development revolving fund and stadium special fund;
(11) Adding and removing certain development guidelines for the development of the stadium property;
(12) Inserting language that allows the Executive Director of HCDA, under written request to and proclamation by the Governor, to adopt rules to be followed during the development within the district;
(13) Inserting language that authorizes the Department of Land and Natural Resources to give written concurrence on any project in the stadium development district based on a phased review;
(14) Inserting language that exempts the Executive Director of HCDA and others from the prohibition of HCDA to assign certain powers and duties as it relates to the stadium development district;
(15) Inserting language that exempts the stadium development district from designation and community development plan requirements under section 206E-5, Hawaii Revised Statutes; and
(16) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Energy, Economic Development, and Tourism that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1530, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1530, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Energy, Economic Development, and Tourism,
GLENN WAKAI, Chair