STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1365
RE: S.B. No. 1530
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred S.B. No. 1530, S.D. 3, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to expedite the redevelopment and revitalization of Aloha Stadium and the surrounding property and make optimal use of public land for the economic, residential, educational, and social benefit of the people of Hawaii.
Among other things, this measure:
(1) Establishes the Stadium Development District (District) comprising all land currently under the jurisdiction of the Stadium Authority;
(2) Requires the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA) to facilitate the development of all property belonging to the State within the District, subject to certain conditions, and prepare development plans for designated stadium complex areas;
(3) Authorizes the Stadium Authority to acquire and hold title to real property;
(4) Transfers title of all lands comprising the District to the Stadium Authority;
(5) Exempts lands owned by the Stadium Authority from the definition of public lands;
(6) Authorizes the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) to provide written concurrence, based on a phased review, regarding District projects;
(7) Specifies that revenues from the District be deposited into a Stadium Development District Subaccount of the Hawaii Community Development Revolving Fund to be used for Stadium purposes, including its maintenance;
(8) Lapses any remaining amounts of the appropriation made by Act 49, Session Laws of Hawaii 2017, for a master plan and environmental impact study for the Aloha Stadium facility and site, and transfers and re-appropriates the lapsed amount to HCDA to establish and develop the District;
(9) Appropriates general funds and authorizes the issuance of reimbursable general obligation bonds for HCDA to establish and develop the District for public use; and
(10) Authorizes the issuance of general obligation bonds to HCDA to build a new stadium.
The Aloha Stadium Authority testified in support of this measure. The Department of Planning and Permitting of the City and County of Honolulu testified in opposition to this measure. The Department of the Attorney General, Department of Accounting and General Services, DLNR, HCDA, and League of Women Voters of Hawaii provided comments on this measure.
(1) Changing its effective date to January 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
Your Committee noted the concerns raised in testimony regarding planning, zoning, and other considerations in the development of the District.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Labor & Public Employment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1530, S.D. 3, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1530, S.D. 3, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Labor & Public Employment,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair