STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1542
RE: S.B. No. 1515
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Lower & Higher Education, to which was referred S.B. No. 1515, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to expand out-of-school programs for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade.
Specifically, this measure establishes the Hawaii Three to Six Out-of-School Program and corresponding special fund to support out-of-school programs, including programs offered by private providers after school hours, during weekends, and during school inter-sessions.
The Hawaii Youth Services Network, Pacific American Foundation, Hawaii State Teachers Association, Kamehameha Schools, High Tech Youth Network, Parents And Children Together, Pioneering Healthier Communities of Honolulu, Kaho‘omiki, and a few concerned individuals supported this measure. The Department of Education, Department of Human Services, Hui For Excellence in Education, and Hawai‘i Afterschool Alliance offered comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Amending the preamble to clarify the purpose of the measure;
(2) Clarifying that the Hawaii Three to Six Out-of-School Program shall be established within the Community Engagement Branch of the Department of Education;
(3) Changing the appropriation to unspecified amounts;
(4) Providing that the Department of Education may seek matching funding from the private sector;
(5) Clarifying the specific, priority distribution allocations for the Hawaii Three to Six Out-of-School Program;
(6) Requiring that ten percent of the funding to the Department of Education cover the costs to administer the program;
(7) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion on this measure; and
(8) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
Should the Committee on Finance deliberate this measure further, your Committee on Lower & Higher Education respectfully requests that it consider appropriating $4,400,000 for each of the fiscal years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 for:
(1) Deposit into the Hawaii Three to Six Out-of-School Program Special Fund; and
(2) Appropriation from the special fund for the costs of the program, including implementation costs and expenses for the Hawaii Three to Six Out-of-School Program.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Lower & Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1515, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1515, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Lower & Higher Education,
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair