STAND. COM. REP. NO. 935
RE: S.B. No. 1501
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1501, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF HAWAIIAN HOME LANDS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to appropriate moneys to the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands for various capital improvement projects and other operating expenses.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Appropriates moneys into and out of a cesspool compliance grant program special fund;
(2) Authorizes the Director of Finance to issue general obligation bonds for capital improvement projects; and
(3) Appropriates moneys to the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands for building homes, infrastructure, capital improvement projects, operating and administrative costs, fringe, and other needs and priorities.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Prince Kuhio Hawaiian Civic Club, and one individual.
Your Committee notes that this measure, as introduced, authorized the Director of Finance to issue general obligation bonds in the sum of $214,918,100 for fiscal year 2019-2020 and $224,169,100 for fiscal year 2020-2021 for capital improvement projects, including lot development, loans, and rehabilitation projects.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Replacing its contents with a general fund appropriation of $243,984 for each year of fiscal biennium 2019-2021 to the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands for the implementation of the cesspool compliance grant program; and
(2) Inserting an effective date of July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1501, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1501, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair