STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1516
RE: S.B. No. 144
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 144, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO LOBBYISTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to amend Hawaii's lobbyists law by:
(1) Removing the restriction on access to transcripts for contested case hearings before the State Ethics Commission;
(2) Changing the requisite level of intent for violations of the lobbyist law from wilfully to negligently; and
(3) Allowing the State Ethics Commission to assess an administrative fine pursuant to a settlement agreement.
The Hawai‘i State Ethics Commission testified in support of this measure. An individual testified in opposition to this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date to make this measure effective upon approval; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 144, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 144, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
CHRIS LEE, Chair