STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1055
RE: S.B. No. 1436
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1436, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AGRICULTURE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to require a feasibility study of using new techniques in state agriculture.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires the Department of Agriculture to conduct a study on the feasibility of establishing and designating agricultural technology zones within the City and County of Honolulu; and
(2) Appropriates funds for the feasibility study.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Hawaii State Teachers Association and MetroGrow Hawaii.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Agriculture.
Your Committee finds that agricultural technology describes the application of various techniques to control the growth and harvesting of vegetable products, including the use of robotics, indoor farming, and vertical farming. Your Committee further finds that these techniques reduce the need for space, pesticides, and water to grow food.
Your Committee notes that an appropriation of $50,000 for each year of fiscal biennium 2019-2020 is necessary to conduct the feasibility study.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the amounts appropriated to conduct the feasibility study to unspecified sums;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1436, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1436, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair