STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2077
RE: S.B. No. 1406
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 1406, S.D. 1, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorize supervision of physician assistants by a physicians' group;
(2) Authorize supervising physicians or groups to establish practice-specific requirements for review of medical records of patients seen by physician assistants;
(3) Streamline the license renewal process for physician assistants;
(4) Establish continuing medical education requirements for the renewal of physician assistants' licenses; and
(5) Clarify conditions for forfeiture and reinstatement of a physician assistant's license.
The Hawaii Medical Board, Hawai‘i Pacific Health, Straub Medical Center, Hawaii Medical Association, Kaiser Permanente Hawai‘i, and several individuals testified in support of this measure. An individual testified in opposition to this measure. Several individuals provided comments.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1406, S.D. 1, H.D. 2, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair