STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1602
RE: S.B. No. 1406
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce, to which was referred S.B. No. 1406, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establish requirements for supervising physicians' review of medical records of patients seen by physician assistants;
(2) Streamline the license renewal process for physician assistants;
(3) Establish continuing medical education requirements for the renewal of physician assistants' licenses; and
(4) Clarify conditions for forfeiture and reinstatement of a physician assistant's license.
Straub Medical Center, Hawai‘i Pacific Health, Kaiser Permanente Hawai‘i, Hawaii Medical Association, Hawaii Academy of Physician Assistants, and a few individuals supported this measure. The Hawaii Medical Board offered comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying the supervising physicians' medical records review requirements for physician assistants of varying experience; and
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2019.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1406, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1406, S.D. 1, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce,
ROY M. TAKUMI, Chair