STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1327
RE: S.B. No. 1406
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Health and Intrastate Commerce, to which was referred S.B. No. 1406, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Streamline the medical records review process for physician assistants;
(2) Establish continuing medical education requirements for the renewal of physician assistant licenses; and
(3) Clarify conditions for forfeiture and reinstatement of a license.
The Hawaii Medical Board, Kaiser Permanente Hawai‘i, Hawai‘i Pacific Health, Hawaii Academy of Physician Assistants, and several individuals supported this measure. Numerous individuals opposed this measure.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the signature requirements for medical records reviewed by supervising physicians of certain physician assistants;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
Your Committees note that the Hawaii Medical Board plans to review this measure during its next scheduled meeting and will provide additional input after that review.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Health and Intrastate Commerce that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1406, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1406, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Health and Intrastate Commerce,
TAKASHI OHNO, Chair
JOHN M. MIZUNO, Chair