STAND. COM. REP. NO. 932
RE: S.B. No. 1385
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1385, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE KANEOHE BAY REGIONAL COUNCIL,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to facilitate the efficient administration of the Kaneohe Bay Regional Council.
(1) The Department of Land and Natural Resources to provide administrative support to the Kaneohe Bay Regional Council;
(2) The members of the Kaneohe Bay Regional Council to select a chairperson on an annual and rotating basis; and
(3) The Council to conduct quarterly meetings.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, Aha Moku Advisory Committee, Koolau Foundation, Koolaupoko Hawaiian Civic Club, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, and one individual.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources.
Your Committee finds that the Kaneohe Bay Regional Council continues to serve the Kaneohe Bay community by protecting the health and well-being of the community and the bay. Accordingly, your Committee believes that providing administrative support to the Council will allow the Council to more efficiently serve the Kaneohe Bay community.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Conditioning the Department of Land and Natural Resources' responsibility to provide administrative support to the Kaneohe Bay Regional Council on the Department having adequate funding and staff;
(2) Including an appropriation to the Department of Land and Natural Resources for a 0.5 FTE staff position; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1385, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1385, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair