STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1165
RE: S.B. No. 1380
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1380 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO SUSTAINABILITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to establish a stronger policy framework for the State's sustainability efforts.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Assigns responsibility for sustainability coordination and planning to the Office of Planning;
(2) Repeals the requirement that the Auditor, with assistance from the Office of Planning, update the Hawaii 2050 Sustainability Plan every ten years; and
(3) Requires the Office of Planning to update the Hawaii 2050 Sustainability Plan by 2021 and every ten years thereafter.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Office of Planning, Office of the Auditor, Maui Chamber of Commerce, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Organizing for Action, Ulupono Initiative, and Hawaii Farm Bureau.
Your Committee finds that the Office of Planning is the appropriate office to manage the State's sustainability efforts, given that office's substantive knowledge of state policies, strategies, and priorities on sustainability and climate change.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Amending section 3 of the measure to comport with standard drafting conventions;
(2) Deleting unnecessary provisions on page 4, lines 6-8; and page 5, lines 7-9;
(3) Changing the appropriation of $500,000 in fiscal years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 to unspecified amounts; and
(4) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1380, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1380, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair