STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1051
RE: S.B. No. 1297
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1297, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO MOTOR VEHICLES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to reduce the number of abandoned vehicles in the State.
More specifically this measure:
(1) Requires applications for motor vehicle registration to include the applicant's address, driver's license number, telephone number, and emergency contact;
(2) Authorizes the counties to assess fines to the registered owners of vehicles deemed abandoned; and
(3) Requires persons claiming abandoned vehicles to show proof of valid motor vehicle registration and motor vehicle insurance prior to repossession.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Honolulu Police Department.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Division of Motor Vehicle, Licensing, and Permits of the City and County of Honolulu; Enterprise Holdings; and one individual.
Your Committee finds that the measure would help relieve the growing problem of abandoned vehicles.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(2) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1297, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1297, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair