STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1335
RE: S.B. No. 1297
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred S.B. No. 1297, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO MOTOR VEHICLES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Require inclusion of additional identifying and contact information for the vehicle owner on an application for motor vehicle registration;
(2) Allow the counties to impose a $1,000 fine against the legal or registered owner of an abandoned vehicle; and
(3) Require an owner of an abandoned vehicle to pay the $1,000 fine and show proof of valid motor vehicle registration and motor vehicle insurance prior to repossessing the abandoned vehicle.
The City and County of Honolulu's Department of Customer Services, Honolulu Police Department, Ace Towing Service, and Hawaii Automobile Dealers' Association testified in support of this measure. Enterprise Holdings provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Specifying the identifying and contact information that licensed automobile dealerships and car rental companies in the State must provide in an application for motor vehicle registration;
(2) Moving the language that authorizes the counties to impose a $1,000 fine against the legal or registered owner of an abandoned vehicle into a more appropriate statutory section;
(3) Clarifying that the owner of an abandoned vehicle must show proof of up-to-date motor vehicle registration and motor vehicle insurance prior to repossessing the abandoned vehicle; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1297, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1297, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
HENRY J.C. AQUINO, Chair