STAND. COM. REP. NO. 957
RE: S.B. No. 1131
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1131, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO OHANA ZONES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to expand the State's ongoing efforts to reduce homelessness.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Increases the number of ohana zone sites on Oahu from three to six;
(2) Requires at least two additional ohana zones on each of the islands of Hawaii, Maui, and Kauai, if capacity within the ohana zones pilot program permits;
(3) Requires evaluation of ultra-low cost modular housing and off-the-grid infrastructure technologies in the ohana zones pilot program reports to the legislature;
(4) Extends both the deadline for implementation and the sunset date of the ohana zones pilot program; and
(5) Appropriates funds to the Department of Human Services for the ohana zones pilot program.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the County of Hawaii Office of the Mayor, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Wahiawa Center for Community Health, LGBT Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, ALEA Bridge, Mililani Presbyterian Church, Hawaii Kai Homeless Task Force, and numerous individuals.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Governor's Coordinator on Homelessness and Maui County Council.
Your Committee finds that increasing the number of ohana zones included in the ohana zones pilot program and requiring evaluation of innovative housing solutions will improve the overall well-being of homeless individuals and families in the State.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriation amount from an unspecified sum to $500,000 for fiscal year 2019-2020 and the same sum for fiscal year 2020-2021;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making a technical nonsubstantive amendment for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1131, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1131, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair