STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1689
RE: S.B. No. 1069
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 1069, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO REDUCTION OF NOISE FROM HELICOPTER OPERATIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establishing a tax credit for taxpayers who install a noise-canceling technology system on a helicopter; and
(2) Prohibiting commercial flights of tour helicopters within one mile of residential neighborhoods during certain times.
Many individuals supported this measure. The Helicopter Association International and an individual opposed this measure. The Department of the Attorney General, Department of Taxation, Mayor of the County of Hawai‘i, Tax Foundation of Hawaii, Blue Hawaiian Helicopters, and many individuals provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the provisions that prohibited the flights of commercial tour helicopters within one mile of a residential neighborhood;
(2) Establishing a tour helicopter surcharge on commercial helicopter businesses in the State;
(3) Establishing a Helicopter Noise-canceling Technology System Special Fund, into which the tour helicopter surcharge revenues shall be deposited, to be used to fund the tax credit for installing a noise-canceling technology system on a helicopter; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1069, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1069, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
CHRIS LEE, Chair