STAND. COM. REP. NO. 635
RE: S.B. No. 1066
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Agriculture and Environment, Water and Land, and Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred S.B. No. 1066 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Establish and appropriate funds for a three-year pilot program to determine if state incentives tied to agricultural land leases can increase local food production; and
(2) Require the Departments of Agriculture, Land and Natural Resources, Hawaiian Home Lands, and Agribusiness Development Corporation to each report to the Legislature annually regarding the results of the pilot program.
Your Committees received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Agriculture; Agribusiness Development Corporation; We Are One, Inc.; O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i; Hawai‘i Center for Food Safety; Hawaii Farmers Union; Ho‘omanapono Political Action Committee; Hawaii Farm Bureau; Farm Maui LLC; Hawaii Cattlemen's Council; Our Revolution Hawaii; and sixteen individuals. Your Committees received comments on this measure from the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands and two individuals.
Your Committees find that Hawaii does not have an adequate-sized farming workforce for expansion of cultivated agricultural lands and food production. In order to meet the State's aspirations for increased food security and self-sufficiency, the number of local farms and farmers and the amount of food produced for local markets will need to increase significantly. This increase can be achieved through incentives tied to state agricultural land leases to encourage a growth in local food production in the State.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Requiring the Department of Agriculture to consult with the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism in its reporting on the results of the state land lease incentives pilot program;
(2) Inserting an appropriation amount of $25,000 for fiscal years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 to the Department Agriculture for administration of the pilot program;
(3) Inserting language that appropriates $25,000 to the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands and $25,000 to the Agribusiness Development Corporation for fiscal years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 for the implementation of this measure; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Agriculture and Environment, Water and Land, and Hawaiian Affairs that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1066, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1066, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Agriculture and Environment, Water and Land, and Hawaiian Affairs,
KAIALI'I KAHELE, Chair
MIKE GABBARD, Chair
MAILE S.L. SHIMABUKURO, Chair