STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1690
RE: S.B. No. 1051
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 1051, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOMELESS INDIVIDUALS WITH SEVERE MENTAL ILLNESS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to require the Department of Human Services to establish a task force to determine specific implementation requirements necessary to establish a pilot program to provide shelter and mental health treatment for certain homeless individuals. Specifically, the pilot project is intended to assist homeless individuals with severe mental illness or severe co-occurring mental illness and substance use disorders who are subject to court-ordered guardianship or assisted community treatment orders.
The Governor's Coordinator on Homelessness, Department of Health, Department of Human Services, Partners in Care, Hawaii Kai Homeless Task Force, Hawaii Substance Abuse Coalition, Oahu County Democrats, Institute for Human Services, and a few individuals supported this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Exempting the task force from statutory requirements regarding permitted interactions between the task force members, and repealing the exemption on January 1, 2020;
(2) Specifying the number of members necessary to satisfy quorum of the task force;
(3) Specifying that the task force shall cease to exist on June 30, 2021;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, to promote further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1051, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1051, S.D. 1, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
CHRIS LEE, Chair