STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1159
RE: S.B. No. 1050
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1050, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOUSING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to establish and appropriate moneys for a task force to examine whether it is feasible for the State to establish and operate a housing loan program for state employees that is similar to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs' home loan program.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation.
Your Committee finds that lower- and moderate-income residents are often unable to obtain affordable housing and thus are most affected by the State's housing shortage. Your Committee also finds that many available positions with state government agencies remain vacant, due to the State's high cost of living and competition for labor from the private sector. Accordingly, your Committee believes that it may be beneficial for a task force to explore the feasibility of addressing these issues through the State's establishment of a home loan program for state employees that is similar to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs' home loan program for veterans.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Correcting a reference to the name of the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation;
(2) Specifying that the Executive Director of the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation, or the Executive Director's designee, shall serve as the Chair of the task force;
(3) Clarifying that a representative of the Hawaii Government Employees Association shall be invited to participate in the task force;
(4) Inserting language to specify that the members of the task force shall serve without compensation from the State for their participation in the task force, but shall be reimbursed for expenses necessary for the performance of their duties;
(5) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(6) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1050, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1050, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair