STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1091
RE: S.B. No. 1025
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1025 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE KUPUNA CAREGIVERS PROGRAM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Changes the kupuna caregivers program allocation award ceiling from $70 per day to $350 per week; and
(2) Appropriates moneys to the Executive Office on Aging for implementation of the kupuna caregivers program.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Executive Office on Aging, Hawaii State Commission on the Status of Women, AARP, Caring Across Generations, Chinatown Gateway Plaza Tenant Association, Faith Action for Community Equity, Hawaii Appleseed Center for Law and Economic Justice, Hawaii Psychological Association, ILWU Local 142, Lanakila Pacific, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, and nine individuals.
Your Committee notes that the Executive Office on Aging requires appropriations of $2,000,000 per fiscal year for fiscal years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriation from $2,000,000 to an unspecified amount;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1025, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1025, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair