STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1048
RE: S.B. No. 1020
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1020, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO RENTAL ASSISTANCE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to provide housing assistance for qualifying families.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires the Department of Human Services to develop and establish a housing homeless children rental assistance pilot program to assist families with minor children experiencing, or at imminent risk of, homelessness due to domestic violence, so that those families may obtain and maintain permanent housing; and
(2) Appropriates funds for the program.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Hawaii Youth Services Network, Hawaii Kai Homeless Task Force, Hawaiian Community Assets, United Church of Christ Transition House, and PHOCUSED.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Human Services, State Procurement Office, and the Governor's Coordinator on Homelessness.
Your Committee finds that the State and its residents are faced with the problems of homelessness and a limited supply of affordable housing. Your Committee recognizes that solutions are needed to address these problems, especially with respect to families with children who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Providing that rental assistance includes financial assistance for the payment of expenses related to relocating to, and rent due to a landlord of, residential property;
(2) Changing the appropriation for the pilot program from $800,000 to an unspecified amount;
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(4) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1020, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1020, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair