STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1801
RE: H.R. No. 204
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Economic Development & Business, to which was referred H.R. No. 204 entitled:
"HOUSE RESOLUTION REQUESTING THAT THE DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, AND TOURISM CONVENE AN INTERNATIONAL MOON BASE ALLIANCE COMMITTEE TO PROVIDE RECOMMENDATIONS AND GUIDANCE FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF EVOLVABLE LUNAR ARCHITECTURE ON THE ISLAND OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Request the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism (DBEDT) to convene a committee to be known as the International Moon Base Alliance, comprised of representatives from government, industry, and research institutions to provide recommendations and guidance for the development of evolvable lunar architecture on the Island of Hawaii; and
(2) Request DBEDT to encourage virtual meetings in order to submit an interim report to the Legislature on its progress prior to the convening of the Regular Session of 2020.
(1) Removing any language directing DBEDT to convene the International MoonBase Alliance, invite various organizations to join the committee, encourage virtual meetings, and submit an interim report to the Legislature on its progress;
(2) Inserting new language expressing the Legislature's support for the intent of the International MoonBase Alliance to advance space exploration and space settlement in the State by building an International Lunar Research and Development Park on the Island of Hawaii;
(3) Amending its title to read:
"SUPPORTING THE INTENT OF THE INTERNATIONAL MOONBASE ALLIANCE TO ADVANCE SPACE EXPLORATION AND SPACE SETTLEMENT IN THE STATE BY BUILDING AN INTERNATIONAL LUNAR RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT PARK ON THE ISLAND OF HAWAII."; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Economic Development & Business that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.R. No. 204, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.R. No. 204, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Economic Development & Business,
ANGUS L.K. McKELVEY, Chair