STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1257
RE: H.B. No. 993
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 993, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Clarifying the duties and responsibilities of the Administrator of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency;
(2) Clarifying the duties of the Agency, including duties with respect to planning, public educational outreach, and coordination with the counties, other agencies, the federal government, and management of federal funds;
(3) Directing the counties, under each Mayor's direction, to develop a comprehensive emergency management plan and to submit annual reports to the Administrator on the plan's status;
(4) Clarifying the leadership, duties, and responsibilities of the Emergency Management Reserve Corps, and the amount of funds allocated to support the Corps;
(5) Changing the Major Disaster Fund's expenditure ceiling for expenditures by the Governor for immediate relief as a result of any single emergency or disaster and for expenditures by the Administrator for the Emergency Management Resource Corps; and
(6) Specifying that any unexpended funds under $2,500,000 carry over to the next fiscal year to support emergencies and disasters.
The O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i testified in support of this measure. The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency and Department of Transportation provided comments.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 993, H.D. 2, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair