STAND. COM. REP. NO. 682
RE: H.B. No. 867
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred H.B. No. 867, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establish the Chief Recruitment Officer position, exempt from Chapter 76, Hawaii Revised Statutes, within the Department of Human Resources Development (DHRD); and
(2) Authorize the Chief Recruitment Officer to facilitate and expedite the hiring and recruitment for civil service positions under DHRD, and to reclassify and abolish vacant positions within state departments and agencies under DHRD's jurisdiction through a process.
The Office of the Governor; Department of Taxation; Department of Defense; Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism; and Department of Accounting and General Services testified in support of this measure. DHRD, Department of Agriculture, Department of Human Services, and Office of Enterprise Technology Services provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Increasing the time period, from 40 days to 60 days, after the vacant positions report is submitted to the Legislature in which the Chief Recruitment Officer may reclassify or abolish any vacant position;
(2) Changing its effective date to January 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion; and
(3) Making a technical, nonsubstantive amendment for clarity, consistency, and style.
Your Committee notes that this measure is intended to preserve the Legislature's prerogative to weigh in on the Chief Recruitment Officer's recommendations on vacant state department and agency positions.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Labor & Public Employment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 867, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 867, H.D. 2, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Labor & Public Employment,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair