STAND. COM. REP. NO. 663
RE: H.B. No. 854
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred H.B. No. 854 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO FOOD DONATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Expanding liability protections for good-faith food donors;
(2) Allowing the donation of expired food or farm produce when the donor reasonably believes that the food is fit for human consumption; and
(3) Requiring that education about food donation liability be included as part of the health inspection process.
The Department of Health, Kōkua Hawaii Foundation, Our Revolution Hawaii, Hawaii Food Industry Association, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, and a few individuals submitted testimony in support of this measure. The Hawaii Appleseed Center for Law and Economic Justice offered comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Including donations of perishable and nonperishable food from institutions that comply with commercial food safety requirements in the exemption from liability;
(2) Changing its effective date to January 1, 2050, to promote further discussion; and
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 854, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 854, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
JOHN M. MIZUNO, Chair