STAND. COM. REP. NO. 194
RE: H.B. No. 776
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs and Transportation, to which was referred H.B. No. 776 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO COMMERCIAL MARINE LICENSES,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorizing the Department of Land and Natural Resources to establish different types of commercial marine licenses including vessel licenses, fishery- and gear- specific licenses, and full- and part- time licenses;
(2) Clarifying that all persons providing charter and guide services shall obtain a commercial marine license; and
(3) Exempting commercial marine licenses from licensing sanctions for student loan default.
Your Committees received testimony in support of this measure from United Fishing Agency, Hawaii Longline Association, Waialua Boat Club, Hawaii Seafood Council, and an individual. Your Committees received comments on this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and several individuals.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Authorizing the Department to establish only commercial marine vessel licenses;
(2) Deleting the licensure requirement for a person providing guide services;
(3) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050 to encourage further discussion; and
(4) Making nonsubstantive technical amendments for the purpose of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs and Transportation that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 776, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 776, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs and Transportation,
HENRY J.C. AQUINO, Chair
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair