STAND. COM. REP. NO. 50
RE: H.B. No. 757
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred H.B. No. 757 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO TRANSPORTATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Require the Department of Transportation and the county transportation departments to adopt a Vision Zero policy that seeks to prevent and ultimately eliminate all traffic fatalities; and
(2) Establish and appropriate funds for a temporary Vision Zero Working Group to develop an action plan to reduce traffic fatalities and report to the Legislature prior to the 2020 Regular Session with interim reports and prior to the 2021 Regular Session with its final report.
The Department of Health, Mayor of the County of Hawai‘i, Hawai‘i County Council Member representing District 3, Hawai‘i Public Health Institute, Blue Zones Project, Kauai Path, Inc., Strategic Highway Safety Plan, Peoples Advocacy for Trails Hawaii, and many individuals supported this measure. An individual opposed this measure. The Department of Transportation, Department of Transportation Services of the City and County of Honolulu, and an individual provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that a representative from each county's transportation department or county department with jurisdiction over transportation shall be members of the Working Group;
(2) Clarifying that a representative from each county's metropolitan planning organization shall be a member of the Working Group only if applicable;
(3) Removing the requirement for other interested parties to be selected and included in the Working Group;
(4) Adding a representative of the Peoples Advocacy for Trails Hawaii as a member of the Working Group;
(5) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 757, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 757, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
HENRY J.C. AQUINO, Chair