STAND. COM. REP. NO. 62
RE: H.B. No. 753
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred H.B. No. 753 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE IGNITION INTERLOCK PROGRAM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring compliance with the ignition interlock program before an interlock device is removed;
(2) Excepting compliance with the ignition interlock program if it is determined that the person is unable to operate the device due to physical disability;
(3) Allowing for a constant sobriety program; and
(4) Authorizing the Department of Transportation rulemaking authority to develop, implement, and manage compliance-based provisions.
The Police Department of the City and County of Honolulu, Traffic Injury Research Foundation, Mothers Against Drunk Driving HAWAII, Smart Start LLC, Hawaii Strategic Highway Safety Plan, and two concerned individuals supported this measure. The Department of Transportation and Office of the Prosecuting Attorney of the County of Kauai provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying the tolling period for a license restriction with an ignition interlock device;
(2) Applying the conditions of the constant sobriety program to the administrative driver's licensing revocation provisions; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 753, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 753, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
HENRY J.C. AQUINO, Chair