STAND. COM. REP. NO. 498
RE: H.B. No. 725
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Lower & Higher Education and Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred H.B. No. 725 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO STANDARDIZED TESTING,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Limiting public school students' participation in standardized tests to only standardized tests as required by state and federal law;
(2) Requiring the Board of Education to notify students and their parents or guardians about the right to opt out of participating in standardized testing; and
(3) Prohibiting the use of standardized test scores for the valuation of teachers and educational officers.
The Hawaii State Teachers Association, Democratic Party of Hawai‘i Education Caucus, Americans for Democratic Action, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, Honolulu County Republican Party, and many individuals supported this measure. The Department of Education and Department of the Attorney General provided comments.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the Department of Education shall notify students and their parents or guardians about the right to opt out of participating in standardized testing, rather than the Board of Education;
(2) Removing language which prohibited the use of standardized test scores for the evaluation of teachers and educational officers;
(3) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Lower & Higher Education and Labor & Public Employment that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 725, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 725, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Lower & Higher Education and Labor & Public Employment,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair