STAND. COM. REP. NO. 269
RE: H.B. No. 717
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection, to which was referred H.B. No. 717 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establish the Plastic Pollution Initiative Program with the mission of eliminating plastic waste impacting native species and polluting the State's environment;
(2) Establish the Plastic Pollution Advisory Council to collect data regarding plastic pollution and provide recommendations and assistance to eliminate plastic waste; and
(3) Appropriate funds to establish the Plastic Pollution Initiative Program and to conduct an initial analysis of the baseline cost of plastic pollution to Hawaii's taxpayers and environment.
The Sierra Club of Hawai‘i, Pono Advocacy, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, Surfrider Foundation Kauai, Life of the Land, and several individuals supported this measure. The Department of Land and Natural Resources supported the intent of this measure. The American Chemistry Council provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Adding a representative of the restaurant or grocery industry to be included as a member of the Plastic Pollution Advisory Council; and
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2100, to encourage further discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 717, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 717, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection,
NICOLE E. LOWEN, Chair