STAND. COM. REP. NO. 966
RE: H.B. No. 627
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 627, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CAMPAIGN FINANCE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Require independent expenditures in support of a clearly identified candidate be included by that candidate's candidate committee as contributions;
(2) Require independent expenditures in opposition of a clearly identified candidate be included by the opposing candidates' candidate committees as contributions;
(3) Require the Campaign Spending Commission to notify candidates of independent expenditures satisfying paragraphs (1) and (2) and to publish such independent expenditures on its website;
(4) Clarify the circumstances that require an advertisement by a noncandidate committee that makes only independent expenditures to disclose contributors for the advertisement;
(5) Remove the hardship exemption from the requirement that radio or television advertisements list the top contributors; and
(6) Remove the definition of "top contributor."
Common Cause Hawaii, Lanai Community Health Center, and several individuals provided testimony in support of this measure. Two individuals provided testimony in opposition. The Department of the Attorney General, Campaign Spending Commission, and an individual provided comments.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 627, H.D. 1, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair