STAND. COM. REP. NO. 40
RE: H.B. No. 621
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Lower & Higher Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 621 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The Democratic Party of Hawaii Education Caucus, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, Honolulu County Republican Party, and several concerned individuals supported this measure. The League of Women Voters and a concerned individual opposed the measure. The Office of the Governor, Board of Education, and Office of Elections submitted comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the year during which the initial special election for the Board of Education is to be held to 2020;
(2) Revising the timeline for the filling of certain vacancies on the Board of Education;
(3) Removing the provision compensating Board of Education members at a rate of $100 per day for each day's actual attendance at meetings;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Lower & Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 621, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 621, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Lower & Higher Education,
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair