STAND. COM. REP. NO. 230
RE: H.B. No. 586
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred H.B. No. 586 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII HEALTH AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Expand the number of members of the Hawaii Health Authority from nine to thirteen;
(2) Appropriate funds to the Hawaii Health Authority for the hiring of an executive director and other staff, as well as any expenses necessary for the functions of the Hawaii Health Authority; and
(3) Require the Hawaii Health Authority to submit an updated comprehensive health plan, including its findings and recommendations, to the legislature.
Hawaii Family Health, The Kupuna Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i, O‘ahu County Democrats, and several individuals testified in support of this measure. The Department of Budget and Finance and Health Committee of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Requesting the State Auditor perform a feasibility study of the Hawaii Health Authority to determine if the program should continue;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to promote further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 586, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 586, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
JOHN M. MIZUNO, Chair